Pages


Saturday, April 03, 2004

Weekender pop quiz

This is just a passing thought as I was driving in EDSA today:

In the advent of the Internet and mobile phone, having an illicit affair has become much more convenient and a whole lot easier.

So I was asking myself,

- While you are inside a committed relationship and you are flirting with someone on the Internet through chatting and email (ala You've Got Mail), is that considered straying?

- In the same manner that if you are having phone sex with someone, does that mean you already slept with him/her and you actually cheated on your partner?

Some people would argue that it's still cheating because there is a third party involved and that party shares something intimate with you while you are inside a relationship. On the other hand, others would say it's the safest thing since technically, you did not really sleep with the person.

Wow-talk about blurring the boundaries. Technology does have a way of making our lives more complicated.

My stand on this - actually, I haven't really given it much thought. But I guess the bottomline is, no affair would be consummated if you are contented with who you are currently with. Carrying on an illicit affair never crossed my mind if I am happy and currently in nirvana with someone. So I think an affair fills up a void in people's romantic relationships that have turned stale or sour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts