Pages


Thursday, September 02, 2004

Observer's notebook: how Pinoys deal with business clients

I've been dealing with clients, vendors, distributors and advertising executives for almost a year now. When I start and end business calls, I would usually extend my hand for a formal handshake before and after the meeting - especially if it's the first encounter.

What's weird is that most of them, after the meeting and during follow-up client calls, would extend their cheek or pull you closer to them, indicating that you end the conversation, the coffee or dinner meeting with a peck on the cheek. "Beso," is the more familiar term for it.

It's such a Pinoy thing. We "beso" everyone. Even the people we don't really know but we think we've met somewhere before.

I would always "beso" friends when I see them in parties, bump into them in malls or cinemas, or when saying goodbye after hanging out. But "beso-ing" a client or an advertising exec after signing a contract to seal the deal is a different story.

I don't know. Am I just being uptight about it? I still prefer the handshake. Clients are clients. You meet them formally, under the premise of a professional meeting. You may become friends with them eventually, but you still met them because of something work or business-related.

I just find it weird. Until now, it still feels a bit awkward when a client or business partner pulls me closer for a "beso."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts