Pages


Sunday, February 19, 2006

Much ranting about nothing

9:28 am - Hong Kong.

I just had to be transported somewhere else.

To clear my head. To write.

Since the year started, I had nothing but more work and more projects on my plate. Stephen Covey's "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" and other self-help books on time management are useless for people like me who do not have time to manage in the first place.

I clock in an average of 12 hours a day at work. I have my video production subject in school and a management training course from AIM. I go to the gym - and cannot afford not to go - what with my bad eating habits. And I have a girlfriend.

I can rant endlessly about it. There are a multitude of reasons why I have to do all these. Conversely, there are also a plethora of reasons why I shouldn't. It's not like I wasn't really left with choices.

I can choose to drop my subject - but I want to finish my Master's already.

I can drop out of my management training course, as well. But if I do so, then I won't get promoted faster.

I can stop going to the gym and just eat more wisely. But that's the thing - with all the stress at work, I can never eat wisely.

The only thing that I don't have too much hand on is work. No matter how efficient i try to be - work won't just stop. And what actually pisses me off is the fact that whenever I finish something ahead of time - there will just be more work added to my never-ending list.

For me to have this well-deserved vacay, I had to work until 10 or 11 almost everyday to get things done. And miraculously, I did. I left no pending tasks, attended to all the project teams who needed me. In fact, I got some of the deliverables emailed a day in advance.

But my mobile phone just won't stop ringing. Just like before, I was already queueing in NAIA's immigration and some PMs won't just stop calling - to ask me for things I've already done for them and have been sent a day earlier to their email.

I love what I do. I really do.

For almost a year now, there's no day that I don't look forward to going to work. I don't drag myself out of bed. I love my projects and being the OC me, I can't stop myself from going through each of them in the most detailed way that I can.

But sometimes, some people just give me this feeling that it's never going to be enough.

And I don't want to be burnt to the point that I just want to stop.

To think that all I am asking for is a 2-day break. 2 days - and I have to go to hell and back just for me to get some Me time.

So it's probably wise to get myself out of this couch now and enjoy the Hong Kong breeze as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts