Pages


Sunday, April 05, 2009

Uncomplicating the complex

Last night, I met with a couple of old friends.

Barely 10 seconds that I got there, the quintessential question was thrown at me:

“April, are you faithful?”

No cognitive processing was necessary for me to reply a resounding:

“Yes. 199%.”

The context of the question was for a friend to validate whether long distance relationships can actually work.

Scratching the surface even harder, the question came from a friend who has a problem with both monogamy and simplicity.

At the end of the evening – or to be more accurate, at past 3am, I texted Arlene:

“…in a way, I’m glad we choose to live happy, peaceful lives.”

I realized, although people saw me as this complex, conniving, high maintenance bitch and that this reputation preceded me for a very long time, I just wanted things to be --- for lack of better terms – solid, steady and simple.

At the end of the day, it is one of the best feelings to be able to look at myself in front of the mirror, knowing that I may not be perfect, but I’m trying to do things right.

When you are earnest, the right thing is not exactly difficult to do.

Yes.

I am faithful.

199%.

If and when he doubts it again, I know deep in the crevices of my spirit that I did the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts