Pages


Saturday, February 19, 2011

Kokeshi, kokeshi, kokeshi

Prior to the Kimmidoll craze, Kokeshi dolls have been around for over 150 years already.

Originally from Northern Honshu, Kokeshi dolls are hand-made from wood, with an enlarged head, a simple trunk and no hands. The bottom portion of the dolls is signed by the artist.


This evening, I had dinner with Tim and Mads at Taman Anggrek. While walking towards the Chinese restaurant, I bumped into these lovely Kokeshi dolls.

And I want them ALL!!!




Unlike the Kimmidolls, the dolls I saw were of different shapes and sizes. Damn, I wanted to hoard but what's the fun in collecting if I buy everything in one sweep? 'Didn't help that I only had 200 rups in my wallet and the rest were USD. Whatta timing that I couldn't find a money changer!

So I contented myself with buying a set - the cutest of the lot.


Brace yourself Taman Anggrek - I'm definitely coming back next weekend for a few more Kokeshis. Not to mention there's a lot of great stores there for quality Batiks, socks and tights, a gigantic GNC outlet and Hello Kitty!!!

Paging Gemma and friends --- help in building the Kokeshi collection! Gemma --- you're first when you go to Hello Kitty country!

4 comments:

  1. hahaha kailangan talaga akong pangalanan!
    get your Japan visa na! let's buy them together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mention kung mention!

    Hahaha -- give me your Hello Kitty country dates.
    I've got a Jerusalem, Israel and Phuket, Thailand coming for March and April.

    Basta bilihan mo ko ng 3 Kokeshi dolls! Nag-decide na ko! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. at kailangan 3 hahahaha! first, kailangan makarating muna ako dun :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - nag-decide na ko.

    3 pieces! Hahaha. Best friend ka so pinakamarami sa 'yo. Mwahahaha!!!

    OMG - we're missing Dada's weyding. Shux!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts