Pages


Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Break the glass

"Break the glass, please, and free us from all these damned rules, from needing to find an explanation for everything, from doing only what others approve of..."

"I wanted to say that it’s a rite of passage, as he’s often said. That it’s forbidden. That glasses do not break on purpose. That when we walk into restaurants or into our homes, we are always careful to move the glasses that are on the edge of the table. Our world requires us to make sure that the glasses do not fall on the floor.

"Break the glass, I thought to myself, because it is a symbolic gesture. Try to understand that within myself, things were breaking of much more importance than a glass, and I’m happy for that. Look to your own inner struggles and break this glass..."

"Our parents taught us to be careful with glasses and with our bodies. They taught us that the passions of childhood are impossible; we should not remove men from the priesthood, that people do not perform miracles and that no one goes on a journey without knowing where he wants to go..."

"Break this cup, please, I thought to myself, and release of all these damn misconceptions, the habit you have of only doing that which everyone agrees with..."

Paulo Coelho thought and wrote about it perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts