Pages


Tuesday, August 05, 2003

Catwalking in the rat race

Yesterday marked the first day in my new job. I am now gainfully (?) employed by a start-up company (not again!?!?!).

The office is located right smack in Makati's CBD. For two days now, I have been lunching with The Boyfriend at the LKG Tower along with other yuppies.
Sadly, I think I have been swallowed by the system already. I look like them, dress like them. Armed with my mobile phone, PDA and file folders, I attend power lunches with clients. Though I can't discern where's the power in that - depriving myself of that strictly-1-hour quality time where I shouldn't be thinking about work.

Makati is just congested with a lot of rodents who start swarming in at 8 in the morning. It's sickening.

Oh well. Welcome to their wonderful world.

Making it big

Six years of work. Six different companies including my consultancies. 3 years as the maximum gestation period in an organization.

I would like to think there is more to work. More to this.

Whether I am going to stay for the long haul with my current company remains to be seen. It's a startup with potential - but so with the other ones.

My moves right now are bordering on pragmatism. My jobs pay my rent. It would help me buy the Fujitsu Lifebook I've been eyeing for more than 2 weeks now. They would take me to Bangkok and Singapore in September.

That's all there is to it.

At this point, I am still short-sighted with employment opportunities. What with the worsening economy of the country and the Magdalo rebellion of 2 weeks ago, all I can see is a bleak future.

How can I be fucking bullish about anything?

If my idealism is dead? Let's just say I agree with Yoj. So much for college daydreaming.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts